Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Literature in Film #2: Precious

I really enjoyed watching Precious. Not only because I started to feel a connection with Precious, but also because I appreciated everything that made up the film such as camera angles, emotions, and lighting.  Though, there were many scenes that were extremely intense for me to watch, the relationship between the plot and cinematography of the movie stood out to me the most. During the movie, from beginning to end, the storyline focused on Precious and the horrible life that she was given. There were many scenes that highlighted the very violent moments in Precious' life. While watching these appalling events that were occurring, I felt a mixed of emotions. That, in which, was definitely the director's (Lee Daniels) goal.

As the plot mainly focused on the life of Precious, the struggles she must overcome, and the barriers that constantly stood in her way, the cinematography throughout the movie held these diverse and different emotions that each viewer felt while watching. I couldn't help but closely analyze all of the camera angles, levels, and movement that certainly portrayed all of these emotions. I noticed that the cinematographer used lots of close up shots of Precious to depict and portray a sad and sorrowful feeling. The lighting for many of the scenes were more dark than bright, overall representing a sad emotion for both the plot and the viewers to feel. Despite the plot's sadness, Lee Daniels frequently incorporated humor into the film as well! The humorous aspects in Precious kept me engaged, always wanted to learn more. Along with engagement, I noticed that the camera never seemed to stay completely still. There was always a constant but steady motion of swaying back and forth or zooming in and out that I absolutely loved! This camera movement was always changing the focal point of the scene, furthermore, developing new objects to look at; always making the frame more interesting and appealing for the viewers.

Yes, the movie was very sad, but these enlightening moments gave me hope for both Precious and her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment