Friday, April 3, 2015

REFLECTION: Since There's No Help by Michael Drayton

As I read through Since There's No Help for the very first time, I felt personally connected to almost every line in the poem. This was probably one of the very few poems that I actually understood on a deeper level. I loved that the first stanza started off with the speakers raging emotions and then in the second stanza, words like "Love", "Passion", "Faith", and "Innocence" were used as if they had human characteristics and features. The second time I read through, I noticed new things that didn't initially stand out to me such as the whole idea of a lost "Love". For the most part, I interpreted the poem similarly both times when I read it.

When answering the questions that went along with the poem, I felt pretty confident with half and a little shaky on the rest. Questions that weren't as hard for me include: ones that asked you to refer to a specific word and any about "shifts" or "rhythm" of a poem. Questions that I really need help on include: anything having to do with meaning of a poem, tone of the speaker of author, repetition, and what a specific phrase or line from the poem means.

No comments:

Post a Comment